Royal Road's Class system is a key element of the game, next to stat, skill, race & title. For a gamer, it defines the overall skill set and resources.
Starting a class
This is a key element of the gaming system. The acquisition of a player's skill tree is largely related to the choice of his class. Same goes for stats development and acquisition of new specialized stats.
There are multiple ways to get a class:
- Class Guilds: Players can go to a chosen class guild and acquire a class after performing tasks.
- Quests: Player gets the chance to get a hidden/secret classes by doing quests that are normally not known or ignored by regular players even if known.
- Race: Some classes like Orcs enjoy race-exclusive classes.
- Items: Special items could unlock a hidden class. (e.g. Successor to the Legendary Emperor 1)
- Player gets the chance to get a hidden/secret class by doing or finishing a certain task that seems boring, mundane, and/or hard.
- Intelligence Guild: Gives counsel to players depending on their stats and skills. On rare occasions, the guild unveils hidden classes.
- Classes are generally categorized into to two types:
- combat classes (melee and supportive)
- craft classes/professions.
- There are normal classes and professions as well as hidden/secret classes that are given/opened under special circumstances (a sort of special reward or easter egg).
- Classes/professions have a first and second advancement similar to skills: beginner, intermediary (1st adv) and advanced skill (2nd adv) level.
- First and secondary job advancement can also be seen as acquiring a new specialty. In other words, there is a basic class, then the basic class (sculptor) can advance to a more specialized class (stone sculptor), and can be advanced further to a more specialized class. For example a Wizard is a magic using class, which specialize in magical offense. As a first adv, they can further specialize to Dark Wizard, for more access to dark offense spell and curse spell. As a second adv, they can further specialize to Necromancer which is a Dark Wizard specializing as undead summoner.
- A class can attain mastery upon completing its unique Master Quest. Such people, besides NPCs, can be entiled Master.
- A Class Master possesses high reputation because of his or her Master Quest's multiple results.
- After becoming the Class Master of one's class, one can choose and add a new class/profession.
Combat class vs other classes
- "There is no (...) class discrimination in the Arpen Kingdom" . One of the issue within RR, in the first year was class discrimination. That was one of the mistake users were doing, due to lack of understanding of the gameplay. The same mistake was also made with grinding level and neglecting skill or stat practice.
- Combat classes and Profession involving craftsmanship have a different way to improve their stat.
"Combat classes receive a rapid increase in strength, dexterity, or wisdom stat during their second job advancement. But sculptors didn’t have such benefits, they had their craftsmanship instead. A Sculptor is a class based mainly on art production. The fastest way to develop craftsmanship is to learn the different production skills, and then utilize their respective abilities and talents to create a variety of products. Thanks to this, their physical and mental capabilities could be improved to be equal to those of the combat classes." 
- Also, players are not completely limited to their own job or profession. To a certain degree, a limited bi- or multi-classing approach seem to be allowed (for example a sculptor or crafting class raising fighting attributes) or even facilitated ( a sculptor can learn any craftsman skill). But still, skill growth is slowed down, and access to special skill of intermediary or advance level is limited. Also, this bi or multi classing skill development is limited by a player's stats and the amount of required training he does. A knight can't use the bow as effectively as would an archer backed up by his class.
Class vs Skills
- Players cannot change their class (normal) once they pick it unless it’s offered by the game (1st or 2nd advancement or special case)
- Players can still learn a new skill from another character (NPC or PC, depending on their level, quote required) and also depending of your own stat (the Geomchi lack of wisdom/intelligence).
- A new skill does not have to be related to a player's class or profession ( for example a sculptor can learn any other craftsman skill)
- Under certain conditions, players can also import a skill they already know in real life (fighting or cooking skill for example) or learn it on their own from repeated action and research in RR (for example, Geomichi's learning construction skill from repeated action or magician researching into lost Magic from the past).
- Players can also learn certain skills from books written by masters (cf. Geihar von Arpen warrior inheritage) or from magic books.
- Rising a specific stat should also help doing the trick (wisdom & prayer for a paladin).
Stat & skills interactions
- Since each class can be developed from the actions and research from the players, it's suggested (v7c?) that RR has no real limitation regarding the overall number of specialities.
- So in theory, with the help of others, learning of skill and growing stat, one might even be able to create a completely new specialty or even a new class. Or at least that's the logical consequence from the aformentionned.
- And as one can get a special skill ( a special reward for a S rank quest for example), in truth, it could alter or even mutate their class. For example Lee Hyun getting the ability to raise from the dead with full health and different stat.
- Still, changing classes, even temporary, does affect your stats, including your skills (quote required: his sculpture transformation and power to reject death ; see Weed's stat change).
Hidden class or changing class
- A special class that you cannot get the information through public knowledge. Instead these classes can only be attained by going through special quests.
- The requirement for these quests are usually extremely hard to meet and they're not easily known. However, because it allows you to use skills outside of the normal skill tree, there are many users trying to get hidden classes. Many users in Royal Road share their information in order to find the Hidden Classes. However, it is said that they haven't even found 1/10,000th of the information.
There are various hidden classes:
- Black Knight: Known Uniqueness: capable of high combat skills of a top knight while being infamous and not restrained by the infamy stat.
- Aqualight Painter. Known Uniqueness: capable to paint through space and time.
- Berserker. Known Uniqueness: warrior class with unique stats and skills that allow the player to grow stronger fighting longer battles, with temporary crippling after effects once the battle is over.
- Moonlight Sculptor. Known Uniqueness: able to sculpt moonlight and very rare dual sculptor combat class. Capable to sculpt life itself
- Martial Artist. Known Uniqueness: able use any or wield any weapon with little to no weapon class restriction.
- Iron-Blood Blacksmith 2nd adv.
- Desert Warrior. Known Uniqueness: able to use fire magic and fire elemental magic as a combat class, attained by adventuring in the deserts. The desert warrior skills will enhance one's Affinity to Nature and Perseverance.
- Warrior of the Sun. Known Uniqueness: able to use the sun's fire and be a higher desert warrior fire user with greater reputation towards the Gods of Fire, Life and Light while possessing the possibility to become a Warrior to Save the World.
New classes or professions can even be opened or created by players, or even through the Skill management system, when a secondary skill becomes a primary skill.
Players/users can attain another different class/profession upon completing their previous class's Master Quest. By becoming a Class Master, a new profession can be selected and new skill sets can be obtained, however, the new class/profession might induce limitations on previous skills.
The class after the first mastered class is called the Secondary Class/Secondary Profession.
The standard class game rules apply the same to the new class as if the player/user was a novice selecting his or her first class/profession.
- Weed: (1st) Master Legendary Moonlight Sculptor + (2nd)
Necromancer→ Warrior → Desert Warrior → Warrior of the Sun
- Bard Ray: (1st) Master Black Knight + (2nd) Warrior → Iron-Blood Warrior